What is Ransomware?
Ransomware is malicious software used by an attacker to encrypt files, an entire computer, or an entire company or university network. The attacker will then demand payment to decrypt the files. The decision to pay or not to pay is a regular topic of debate within IT Security communities.
Tips to protect yourself against Ransomware
- Backup your critical files regularly. Store at least two copies in different locations if possible
- Keep your computer operating systems up to date
- Allow software patches to be installed when prompted
- Keep software on your computer up to date. Uninstall unused programs
- Reboot your machine on a regular basis to ensure updates are fully processed
What to do if you think you’re infected with Ransomware
Immediately unplug your computer’s network cable and turn off the wireless on your computer
Immediately shut your computer down
Do not make any immediate payments
If this incident occurs on the Fairfield University network contact the Help Desk as soon as possible