VoiceThread is a web-based discussion tool that works across all computers and devices. It is a valuable alternative to traditional online discussion boards as the voice component offers users significantly more presence and flexibility over text-only forums. VoiceThread also offers an iOS App.
Create a VoiceThread
To get started with VoiceThread,
- Visit https://voicethread.com
- Register or Sign in with an existing account. VoiceThread is not tied to Fairfield’s Net ID system.
- Once logged in, choose Create.
A VoiceThread begins with a piece of media having to do with the Thread’s topic. While you are free to upload multiple images and PDFs or select YouTube videos or websites, it is recommended that you start with a single image uploaded from your computer or device.
After selecting your media, the Thread Settings box will appear.
- Give your VoiceThread a Title
- Then view the Playback Options menu.
- Use various features to limit Thread interaction:
Save when finished.
- Use the Allowed Comment Methods menu to select the ways which viewers can comment.
- Allow commenters to add slides to this VoiceThread if you would like viewers to upload their own media in response to the original. (New slides have their own comment sections.)
- Disable Start playing when opened to require viewers to press a ‘play’ button to begin the VoiceThread.
- Don’t allow commenters to delete their own comments if you would like all comments to be permanent.
- With the VoiceThread created, choose Comment to record an introduction or prompt for others to hear. The VoiceThread will launch.
- Hover over your media and choose the Comment button that appears.
- After pressing the Comment button at the bottom of the VoiceThread media, press the microphone icon to begin recording. If necessary, grant VoiceThread permission to your device's microphone. A countdown screen will appear to cue your speaking.
- As you record your voice, you may use the Pencil tool to draw on the media. These drawings will only show as viewers listen to your recording.
- Press the red ‘stop’ button to end your recording. Reject (Cancel) or approve (Save) the preview.
Share Your Thread
Use theVoiceThread toolbar’s X icon to return to your project screen.
- From the project screen, choose Share to display your VoiceThread’s URL.
- Send that URL to your viewers or post it someplace they can see it. They will need the URL to access the thread.
- Alternatively, you could generate an Embed code to place the VoiceThread directly onto an existing webpage or Blackboard Content Area.